23.3.14

Masters Task No. 2! :)

Hi everyone!

Today I'd like to share the second project out of the four Masters Tasks for Scrapbooking Memories.  My first project has already been shared below.

Task 2 - Create a 2014 calendar.  This can be in any shape or format as long as it fits into the posting box specified to the left.

After I filled up many pages in my notebook with ideas, sketches and plans, I settled on one idea that personally really inspired me the most.  We live by the beach and we go on regular beach walks and visits, and we can’t but help pick up a seashell or two as a souvenir sometimes – especially if it looks really unusual to the ones we already have collected previously.  I had a mini tin bucket in which we kept our seashells and I always thought it a shame that they are not on display.

I also thought it would be a wonderful idea to have a decorative calendar!  One that can be used for many years to come, that won’t be chucked out, but will be treasured and proudly on display.  I thought it would be a great idea to have one in our home as a visual reference, much like a clock.

So these factors helped lead me onto my very own calendar creation!  The Seashell Calendar will be home to the most special shell collected in each corresponding month.  At the end of the year, a new year can be easily printed onto a transparency sheet, cut into months and hung up on pegs, replacing the year previously ended.  In almost a similar (yet opposite) vein to the Christmas Advent Calendar which is a family tradition of ours in December, where in this case we can each have a turn putting a shell into the calendar!  This would be fun!



After a little bit of shopping around I found a most appropriate shadow box from a discount store.  It had removable glass, and it could also be used as a photo frame.  There are twelve compartments to this little unit, which works perfectly for this project.

I firstly removed the glass and then removed the shelving to cover the back of the unit and the shelf tops with beach-themed paper.  The paper used on the shelves is in fact completely covered with shell photographs.  I then white washed over all surfaces covered to give a softer feel, as I wanted the unit to be a backdrop for the collected shells and the months of the year.

I layered hessian ribbon over the top of the back of the unit, and then I adhered some beach-themed collectables die-cuts, fussy-cut paper images, stickers and finally some of our favourite shells from our collection, using modeling paste for dimension and strong craft glue for adhesion.  The modeling paste was brushed and clumped onto most surfaces, including the face of the unit – to give a worn, beach-shack look.


The wooden pegs were glued into the center of each compartment and I added extra little details like glass jars with messages and maps rolled up inside, tied up with twine and a metal beach-themed charm, “treasures” such as stones, pearls, metals and other “jewels” – which in actual fact were mostly from my small collection of broken jewelry (I knew there was I reason I’d held onto those for so long in my stash!  Yay!).

The distressed look on the outside face of the unit was achieved by trial and error.  I tried fussy cutting and some other painted techniques, but the most realistic look was achieved by just freehand tearing woodgrained patterned paper so as to leave the white torn edge exposed and adhering these pieces randomly around the frame until the end result looked kind of “natural”.  I really like how this turned out as it really does tend to emulate the look of peeled paint, which is reminiscent of worn, no-fuss beachside dwellings.



I printed out a free 2014 calendar off the internet using the site “Calendar Labs” onto an A4 sized sheet of transparency and cut around each month and slipped each little month’s “sheet” into each peg.

I added a little bling, and a ribbon and twine bow to the front of my Seashell Calendar, just to give it that “finished off” look.

I am so pleased with how this turned out!  I really, really love it!!!

Well that's my share for today - two down and two more to go. :)

I hope you have a lovely day!

Cheers,
Chantal
xo

Follow on Bloglovin

24 comments:

  1. Your gorgeous calendar looks totally cool Chantal, wowzers! Hugs, Ira x
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing and very cleverly designed, and able to be reused which is very economical too. Brilliant take on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - this is stunnging!!! I love how all you have to do now is change out the calenders each year and you hvae it's use forever! Gorgeous creation. Thanks for stopping by and the great comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wow wowwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous!! I love love love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How perfect. You are now displaying your pretty shells and look at it throughout the year. Clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a cool idea indeed. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a clever idea!! beautiful calendar Chantal...x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a marvelous idea! This is such a gorgeous calendar! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a clever project .. and oh so pretty, too! Love the clothespins and added little trinkets! !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and agree very clever!!! Love all the touches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow. This looks amazing. It has a beachy feel to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just fabulous! Love the creativity and the beauty of it...super! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so creative and beautiful, Chantal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE what you've done here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous calender Chantal! What a clever way to use your shell colletion!
    Have a wonderful day :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so awesome Chantal, I do love this and a great way to display your treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!! You did a great job on this project! (like everyone else says) it's super awesome!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this when I saw it in the mag Chantal but am seeing even more detail here. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this Chantal.. You're simply talented!! Miss ya.. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing Chantal - it's got such a gorgeous, natural and rustic look to it. I'm sure your girls but love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely gorgeous and so so creative!!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a Gorgeous work of art!!!! Fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. An absolutely brilliant idea Chantal!! A fabulous way to display your treasured finds!! Love it!! ox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! :D