16.3.14

The first of four Masters Tasks to share… :)

Hi everyone!  

Today I thought it was about time that I begin to share my four projects that I created for my 2014 Scrapbooking Memories Master's winning entry. :)

I really enjoyed creating these projects and I put a lot of effort into them.  I hope you enjoy viewing them too! :)

My first project tackles Task 1 - 

"Scrap a single layout using a 5" x 7" photo that must be engaging and have eye-contact with the viewer."  



On the week that I was to scrapbook this photograph, it had been raining quite a lot, and as a result, we’d seen quite a few rainbows on our way to and from school.  Heidi (pictured) had been asking me “can we find the pot of gold?” and I’d reply “You are my pot of gold, Heidi!”.  She giggled at that!  So I had this memory in my mind when I went to scrap this photo.

I first decided to create a soft, whimsical sky-like backdrop for my planned rainbow and I used white cardstock with a cropped piece of blue patterned paper (lightly spray-inked) over the top, topped with a same-sized piece of blue and white cloud patterned sheet of vellum.  I lightly adhered the vellum with a special spray adhesive, which is suitable for vellum and provides a semi-adhered “floaty” look, which I wished to achieve.

My rainbow was created by firstly using a plate as a template, then I drew halfway around this shape onto some red polka-dot patterned paper (to match Heidi’s dress) with a thick black paint pen, which gives a strong solid graphic line.  From thereon, I freehand drew the rest of the rainbow bands onto coloured patterned papers and cardstock in rainbow colour order, using the first red band as a visual guide.   As I store all my papers in colour order, the task of gathering each particular coloured paper was very easy for me.  I had all the right shades in my stash and I had some lovely patterns there too, perfect for complimenting this vibrant, pretty photo.


After my rainbow was glued together (I had cut out and glued each band from largest to smallest) I then matted my photo twice, once onto a neutral coloured paper and then finishing with a bold black and white striped paper (cut into strips and adhered around the photo like a frame, with the corners cut on the 45 degree angle).  After working out the exact positioning of my photo and rainbow onto the layout base, I adhered my rainbow by straight machine stitching twice through the middle of each coloured band. 

After adhering my photo and trimming off any overhanging rainbow, I directly drew some clouds onto the same neutral paper that is framing the photo (the first layer).  But in this instance, I used part of the paper which has some blue washes on it, to soften the look of the clouds against the background, rainbow and photo.  These clouds provided not only a kind of large pair of photo corners, but they also have a negative space to provide room for a title and journaling.

The clouds where adhered with foam tape to provide dimension and my chipboardtitle by 2Crafty has been painted in gold paint and has been complimented with gold alpha stickers and gold outlined letters – inspired by the “pot of gold” sentiment and memory.

I have also journalled onto three clouds which have been outlined in black gel pen, which are part of the patterned vellum design.  This journaling documents the recent abovementioned rainbow and pot of gold memory, and I designed it to be noticed not at first glance but after a moment, when the layout has taken the viewer’s interest, so to speak.  I like to have things in my layout that may be noticed after perhaps a second or third look – a bit like a movie that you like that you watch a few times over, and you notice new things each time.

I finally decorated the rainbow with some evenly spaced bling – I used the machine stitching to measure where each jewel was to be placed (every forth stitch).  I didn’t own three of the colours of bling, so I simply coloured some plain coloured bling with coloured Sharpie markers.  This is such a quick and easy technique that looks great!

I absolutely loved creating this layout, it was a complete joy to make and the only challenging thing about it was trying to find the exact shade of gold paint for my chipboard.  It needed to have a certain warmth to it and there were many to choose from that weren’t quite right at my local craft store – it was quite the dilemma!  It is very appropriate though, that in fact it was Heidi that found the “winning” paint!  It was the last tube left, it was almost hidden (at Heidi height!) and the shade was completely perfect!  Heidi was very pleased with herself (as was I)!



 I was so fortunate to have this layout chosen for the front cover of the magazine (as pictured above)!  :D  It was a complete surprise - I found out about being a cover girl after the issue was released. 

So that's the first of four projects which formed my entry to this year's Masters competition.  I will be sharing the next instalments over the next few weeks. :)

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Chantal
xo

Follow on Bloglovin

24 comments:

  1. HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE Congrats on the cover!!! That is AWESOME!!!! I loveeeeeeeee your lo!!! That RAINBOW is AMAZING!!!! Totally pinning this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This layout is now SO familiar to me! A huge congrats Chantal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creativity knows no bounds:) That rainbow is such a treat to look at & fabulous to read how you created it, too.....it soooo deserved the front cover:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will always be a favourite of mine, love everything about it, the photo, the rainbow the stitching. Well done on being a cover too, really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not surprised that this beautiful page was chosen as the cover layout. It is so beautiful and displays your lovely style to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TOTAL CONGRATS! Sweet and pretty page - you have a unique style. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! All the detail in that rainbow is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm not surprised your stunning layout was the cover! An amazing layout. bright and funky...and the story behind it is wonderful too x x congrats xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This layout totally deserved to be on the cover... It is absolutely stunning in every way!! The bright colours & the design are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, the colors, design, stitchery and the sweet sweet little one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGosh....your layout is so adorable! So much love goes into your work.......love the story behind the photo too! Fabulous work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is amazing!! And totally deserving the cover! Love the vibrant rainbow and adorable photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huge congrats on making the cover! How exciting! Adorable page and yes, I can see that there was lot of time invested! Totally worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow.. congrats on making the cover!
    You are amazing, i love the way you are playfull ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! A BIG congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This lo is fab.....makes perfect sense to have it on the cover! LOVE that rainbow with the stitching and little design/mix on it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! Congrats to you on making the cover Chantal! And so well deserved, too, for your LO is a real stunner, very bright and vivid, love it!! Hugs, Ira x
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay !!! this is such a perfect, eye-catching page for the front cover. You know I LOVE your work, just looking at your pages and your sweet girls faces makes me smile everytime! So happy that you are a MASTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not surprised that your layout made the cover my friend. You have such an amazing and uniquely you style! Congrats again on being a MASTER!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulation :o)
    Gorgeous lo! Love the cloud theme!
    Have a wonderful day :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all the colors and the happy feeling!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like always awesome! I like the rainbow with these pearls :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, congratulation for the publication. The rainbow is lovely, all your work for this scrap is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! This is a fabulous page and I saw your layout on the mag cover...so awesome! Love the page too...so vibrant, colourful and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning page Chantal!! Always love your bright and cheery layouts. Congratulations on making the cover! Not at all surprised though, it is a gorgeous piece of work!! ox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! :D