Today I'd like to share my 3rd task for Masters. The task was to…
'Create a single layout with a unique background. This can be achieved through using mediums, paper or fabric.'
I was very excited about this task and it was the first one that I did. I loved the “unique background” challenge and I decided to do something that I have wanting to do for such a long time – watercolour painting!
To accompany these photographs, I decided to paint an insiders view of the footy stadium we attended. I first looked up the stadium’s website and was very pleased to find a photograph facing the area we were seated when these photos were taken. Using this photo as a guide, I first did a rough sketch with pencil to get the dimensions right and I added the depth and detail with watercolour. Once I was happy with my painting and it was dry, I added in little outlines and extra definition with a black gel pen.
Now although I was super happy with my action-packed background, I needed to soften it just a tad so my photos will become the first focus, so I machine stitched three rectangular pieces of vellum in a lively design to match and support the layout’s theme.
My five photos were taken on my iphone so the quality wasn’t super top-notch so I was happy to print them a little smaller to compensate this, and cluster them in such a way to kind of reenact the day’s feel. Each photo was matted onto craft corrugated cardboard (this neutral colour and the texture helps to “ground” them), followed by colourful patterned paper (to tie in with the colourful painted background and the photos themselves), then vellum (to soften the patterns and colours – like the background) and finally some white patterned paper (with camera line drawings to tie in the drawn background).
I painted four 2Crafty chipboard Footballs red and used black and white gel pens to draw the fine details (I used a footy that we have at home to copy the design for this). These gel pens worked a treat on the red painted chipboard! I used my footballs as “o’s” for my title – it looks so cool, but truth be told, I had this idea because I simply didn’t have enough “o’s” so it worked out really well in the end!
This was my first completed challenge and it had me raring to go for the next three! :)
Thanks for stopping by today! Stay tuned for my forth and final Master's task instalment! :D
Have a great day!